but it seems like there is a mess with filters - some features were removed, new API was introduced, docs are outdated

yep, I also learned from 4.3 changelog

Using legacy GridField search API GridFields now default to using the new search UI which uses SilverStripe's FormSchema API.

and this module provides "filtering based on any data by specifying your own filter method"

btw @firesphere, it says here -> that "filtering only works if GridField column name matches DB column name, which is not the case in many situations (date fromatting, column content getter function)" (edited)


@wmk no idea, I used that on a few SS3 projects too